Content from this blog has moved to www.michellerayburn.com.

f

9.05.2009

Two new favorite authors...

I just finished reading my first Maureen Lang book, Pieces of Silver. It was fabulous. I lost some sleep as I read by flashlight late into the night. The book is set just before the United States entered World War I, and from the first page to the last, Lang keeps the reader engaged in the romance, the mystery, and the reality of the trials of life. She's on my list of new favorite authors.
Another author, whose work I've recently added to my list of faves, is Melody Carlson. I read A Mile in My Flip-Flops, about a woman who tries house-flipping. For those who aren't into home improvement shows, that's taking a rundown house, doing some cost-effective renovations, and reselling for a profit. I also read These Boots Weren't Made for Walking, the story of a young women who has a streak of mishaps and moves home with her mother. Many readers can relate to her weight struggles and worries about growing old without meeting Mr. Right.

These are light-hearted chick-lit reads that I foud refreshing after some recent heavier reading. Don't expect any deep theology, but at least the books have a Christian slant as characters discover their need for faith. Carlson does a much better job with chick-lit than some other authors. She's witty and knows how to develop a plot, and doesn't sneak in anything bordering on immorality to gain popularity as some authors have. Another one for my favorite authors list.


Don't forget - You're entered in the free book drawing each time you comment on a blog post in September.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read anything yet by any of these authors. All these books look great.
    wandanamgreb (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails