Content from this blog has moved to www.michellerayburn.com.

f

2.11.2010

Thin Places of My Own

This week, I hosted Mary DeMuth’s Thin Places on the blog. I’ve been thinking more about those times when heaven is so real in the mundane of life. My first writers conference was a thin place for me. I went there, unsure of what God wanted me to do with my life. Unsure of whether I ought to call myself a writer.

I attended expecting to learn the craft of writing. What I learned was something much more valuable. I arrived as an insecure stay-at-home mom but by the end of the first day, I sobbed in my room as I realized God loved me enough to have a plan for my writing. I saw how He cared for me enough to connect the random details that made up my life. I began to see how my hobbies, my volunteer activities, my varied career pursuits all connected like dots in a coloring book, and how each one had prepared me for writing and speaking. 

During one of the sessions, the worship leaders led a song by Shawn Craig and Don Koch that said, “In Christ alone, I place my trust, and find my glory in the power of the cross. In every victory, let it be said of me, my source of strength, my source of hope is Christ alone.” I made it my theme song from that moment on.

That whole four-day conference was a thin place for me, a place where I sensed God so near that I could almost touch Him. It changed everything for me.

1 comment:

  1. Writers conferences are often that for me too. Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails