Content from this blog has moved to www.michellerayburn.com.

f

1.13.2010

The Desires of Your Heart

Yesterday morning, my Bible study book asked me to write down the deepest desire of my heart. I thought about it for a while, then left the line blank. What really is my deepest desire? I knew I could fill in something akin to a canned Sunday school answer. Something like, my deepest desire is to glorify God and do what He wants me to do.  But I didn't write that down, because what I want to be my deepest desire and what I make my deepest desire have not yet merged into one track.

In fact, I'm not really sure what it is. I'm sure that if I desired something deeply enough, I'd do whatever it takes to pursue that desire. Yet my daily habits often reflect actions that run counter to any desire I could name. I want to lose weight, but I eat chocolate. Too much of it. I want to write a book, but I fritter my time on facebook and internet browsing. I want to grow deeper in my faith, but I leave so little room in my schedule for spending time with God.

Psalm 37:4 says to "take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart's desires" (NLT). I'm thinking the first step in discovering the desire of my heart is in taking delight in God. So, I'm going to focus on that step until I can clearly see the next one.

What is your deepest heart desire? Do your actions reflect that desire?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails