Content from this blog has moved to www.michellerayburn.com.

f

3.08.2011

The Chasm by Randy Alcorn

I just finished reading a book for review and I wanted to share it with you.

The Chasm, might be called a modern day Pilgrim’s Progress. Nick Seagrave has come to a vast dark chasm in his journey, but he can see the bright city of Charis (Greek for Grace) on the other side. The problem is that he has to figure out how to get there. This book is a visual allegory that represents the gospel in a way that some readers will connect with.

I had a difficult time following at first, as if I were dropped into a story and trying to figure out the characters. Then, I realized that this is part of another of Alcorn’s works titled “The Edge of Eternity”. The end of the book tells the reader that he or she can read the rest of Nick’s story in the novel.

This book is a good tool for getting discussion going with anyone who isn’t familiar with the gospel. I think it’s a good conversation piece. I found parts of it very predictable, but of course it would be since it borrows concepts from scripture. I found it a bit confusing at times. It seemed like there was such a big jump into the crux of the story. People who know the biblical account of Jesus will understand without question the concept of angry people nailing “The Woodsman” to a tree. However, this would be a stronger evangelistic tool if the story eased into it a little better. I felt a bit emotionally disconnected from the nailing part and that should have had a great personal impact in the story.

Readers who enjoy allegory will likely connect with this book. It’s short, which makes it a lot easier to read than some other allegories. Also, Alcorn is great with detail and description. Other readers will enjoy the pen and ink illustrations throughout the book that make this book unique from others.

I received this preview copy of the book free from the publisher in exchange for my fair and honest review.


 Have you ever read any of Randy Alcorn's other books? I'd love to hear your thoughts. And remember, your comments make you eligible for the monthly drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails