Content from this blog has moved to www.michellerayburn.com.

f

1.14.2013

Pinterest Project Days 12: Middle Eastern Food

I didn't plan ahead very well for the weekend regarding when I would try out projects from Pinterest. So, today, I'm playing catch-up. Ready? Here come three projects for you in a row.

Day 12: Sampling Middle Eastern Food

Several Pinterest users have linked to the Holy Land Grocery and Deli in Minneapolis. One pin linked to it as one of the Twin Cities food finds and others linked to the Holy Land website. We had an opportunity to visit the Holy Land Deli and Grocery with a tour group with our exchange student and other families. We shopped in the store and then ate the buffet of Middle Eastern food. It was great! 

I tried Falafel for the first time.The owner of the Deli described it as a vegetarian meatball, but it was so much more than that! He said it's easier to describe it that way to people.
A falafel is a deep fried ball made from chick peas, herbs, and more. Yum!

We had some of the best hummus I have ever had. Holy Land has a factory and makes hummus for wholesale to grocery stores. The buffet included samples of roasted vegetables that were delicious, fresh pita bread, and this wonderful rice that was labeled Beryani rice (I can only find recipes for Biryani rice, but I think it's the same) That had this amazing sweet and spicy flavor. They served a traditional mango juice with the meal.

The neighborhood surrounding the deli was also very interesting and cultural. There were many other ethnic stores and restaurants there.
 

If you're looking for a new cultural experience, I highly recommend visiting the Holy Land store and buffet. The owner gave a talk to our group (it was arranged ahead of time) about immigrating to the USA and about his ethnic background. He was funny and entertaining, and informative all at the same time.

2 comments:

  1. Good to know there's something like that around. I would love to find somewhere that cooks authentic pita bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation. It is timely! I have a friend I've been collecting recipes from. She's from Tunisia and her husband is from India so it includes spices and meats not available at the stores I shop. A lot of lamb and goat. She eats hallel but I course that isn't necessary for me :-) Anyway, my mom and I are planning an outing to Holy Land as it is only about 20 minutes from my house. We'll have to try the buffet.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails